VespaLife.com

Read About Life With a Vespa

Approved for Jury Duty

By lem at 2:11 am on November 8, 2006 | 5 Comments

Last week I served on a jury in DC Superior Court, and while the weather was a bit brisk in the mornings, it was sunny enough to ride my Vespa each day to and from the Court House.

The first obvious benefit was the ease of parking. There is no public parking on the streets immediately around the Court House (it’s all blocked off for police cars and court officials), and even the jury summons states that using public transportation is highly recommended. I was able to chain my Vespa to a street sign directly across the street from the Court House, about three blocks closer than the nearest Metro station.

Second less obvious benefit is the actual cost. For me to ride the Metro each way during rush hour costs $2.80, totaling $5.60 per day. The Court provides transit reimbursement of $4 per day to help “offset the costs”. Not only does their stipend not cover the total cost of transit, but that’s more than enough money to supply gas for almost two weeks of commuting on my Vespa. After five days of service for the court, I earned $20 of gas money that should keep me well fueled for the rest of the year. Thanks, DC!

Filed under: Travels5 Comments »

5 Comments »

• 1
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Carol D.

December 29, 2006 @ 1:50 pm

While trying to figure out why my 2006 Vespa is dead I stumbled across your blog. How fun!! My scooter is sulking in the driveway and I’m at my desk searching for your December entry. No December? Thanks for the fun stories and good tips.

• 2
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Robert

April 9, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

I think Piaggio needs to drop the whole economical theme, since the fact is that a serious rider is looking at an extra $100 a month minimum (hello $200 oil changes) which combined with a payment totally offsets any level of savings. A driver who is more casual will also not save much as the scooter has not really offset any expenses. It is fun, but it is not cheap! The whole economical thing is a lie, and they really should tell people that the first service is $160 at 600 miles, $260 at 3000 miles, and the warranty that Piaggio gives is not something they have any desire to honor. DO NOT MISS A SERVICE!!! Piaggio has a tremendous opportunity to sell scooters here in the U.S.A., but they seriously need to not misrepresent AND find a way to lower the expense. Let’s see, $200 payment, $260 oil change, but $100 month for gas on my commute and I’m still looking at a “payment” of $460 that month. God help any Vespa Piaggio owner who has anything serious happen. Love my MP3, but not real happy with Piaggio or the dealership. In fact, I don’t know that I’d buy it again. Economical, not even. The expense is extreme. I get why people buy them, and why I bought one, but again, DAMN!

• 3
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by lem

December 13, 2008 @ 5:50 pm

In all fairness, the MP3 is one of the more expensive scooter lines that Piaggio sells. The Vespa models are all considerably cheaper. In the coming weeks I will post the detailed per-month cost breakdown I did for my own Vespa, and for a new Vespa I was considering for purchase.

• 4
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by grant

June 24, 2009 @ 12:39 pm

I am new to the DC area, and have never had to worry about parking my vespa in dangerous areas. Do you think it’d be safe to lock my vespa up at a metro station for the duration of a day?

• 5
    Get your own gravatar for comments by visiting gravatar.com

Comment by Katya

September 14, 2009 @ 3:37 pm

Hello. I stumbled across your blog while doing some research for parking laws. I have a 150cc Vespa and have been parking it on the sidewalk for the past two months. Yesterday on my way to work I was greeted by a nasty surprise: a parking ticket. Do you by any chance know what the law says about parking on the sidewalk? I seem to see it everywhere and couldn’t understand why I got a ticket. Thank you.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI